A fruity flapjack-style bar bursting with energy
1 hour approx
- 350g fresh or thawed from frozen blackcurrants
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 200g butter
- 275g rolled porridge oats
- 75g pistachios, roughly chopped
- 75g ready-to-eat figs, chopped into small pieces
- 100g plain flour
- zest of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- a 20cm square tin, lightly oiled
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan180C/gas 6. In a wide-based pan, gently melt the butter for a few minutes.
- Take a large bowl and mix together the oats, flour, sugar, pistachios, figs and lime zest, then stir in the melted butter and golden syrup until combined and the oats are evenly coated.
- Pour half the flapjack mixture into the base of the prepared tin, then add a middle layer of the blackcurrants, followed by the remaining oats, pressing each layer into an even surface as you go.
- Place in the oven for 55 minutes to 1 hour, or until golden and starting to crisp at the sides.
- Leave to completely cool on a wire rack before cutting into 18 bars.
- Store in an airtight container.